AIS recipe recommended by Steph Cronin from Perform Dietetics
- Preparation time 15 minutes
- Cooking time 20 minutes
- Serves 12
- Freezable: yes
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- ¾ cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 310 ml (1¼ cups) skim milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat the oven to moderate (180°C or 350°F).
- Lightly grease a 12-hole nonstick muffin pan.
- Sift flours into a large bowl (tip husks from the flour into the bowl, too).
- Stir in sugar.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture.
- Whisk the margarine, milk, egg and vanilla together with a fork, then add to the flour mixture.
- Stir gently until the mixture is just combined then fold in the blueberries: don’t over beat or the muffins will be tough.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until muffins are well risen and spring back to the touch.
- Leave in the pan for a few minutes then lift onto a wire rack to cool, or eat while warm.
HINT: The muffin mixture only needs to be briefly combined – it may appear lumpy but this is normal. Frozen blueberries do not need to be thawed before adding to the mixture
|ANALYSIS per serve||12|
|Energy kJ (Cal)||839 (200)|